This Discussion channel is currently closed.
V3_aspire_eden_prairie_2040_logo_-_horizontal__reduced_

The City of Eden Prairie is in the midst of updating its Comprehensive Plan — Aspire Eden Prairie 2040.

As residents and stakeholders, you have a vested interest in this planning process. Please share your thoughts and insights to guide city leaders in planning for the future of our community.

Small2_landfill-300x199

The City of Eden Prairie is working with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) to help create a land use plan for the Flying Cloud Landfill site, located east of Flying Cloud Drive and south of Pioneer Trail.

The land use plan could allow options such as:

- Alternative energy sources (solar, wind, methane recapture)

- Native landscaping and pollinator habitat environment

- Yard waste/compost site for residents

- Vertical gardens

Please share your thoughts about which of these land use options is most appealing, and why. Do you have other ideas worth considering?

20 Responses

Default_avatar
Jonas Skjei 2 months ago

I think the site should be used for a yard waste site. All of the surrounding communities, including Hopkins, Minnetonka, Chanhassen, and Shakopee offer this service to their residents, and it's about time that Eden Prairie does too.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Laura Hanson 2 months ago

I believe a yard waste/compost site would be very useful and beneficial to our residents.

2 Votes
Default_avatar
Brian Myers 2 months ago

I don't disagree with the idea of a waste/compost site but not there. At first glance the location in question has too many other/better options. Put a waste/compost site somewhere else IMHO.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Tharen Callanan 2 months ago

I personally would find the site being turned into a native landscape and pollinator habitat environment to be amazing and penultimately useful - especially as a resident of the neighborhood in question.

Here's a great read on why this type of environment is important: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/pa/plantsanimals/?cid=nrcs142p2_018171

8 Votes

Default_avatar
Mike Elhard 2 months ago

I believe the site could be a yard waste/compost site and native landscape site. Currently we have to pay to have our yard waste removed or drive it to Maple Grove.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Al Fre 2 months ago

Alternative energy sources (solar, wind, methane recapture) and Native landscaping and pollinator habitat environment.

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Connie Iacovelli 2 months ago

Another vote for yard waste & compost!!!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jessica Troy 2 months ago

I like the idea of alternative energy and native landscaping/pollinator space together!

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Matthew Matousek 2 months ago

Friends in Eden Prairie do not let this area be used for yard waste (smell), solar panels (unsightly), or any thing but to beautify the space. Property owners near by would be negatively impacted by these decisions. Walking paths, verticals gardens, a public golf course would be great solutions.

Neighborhoods impacted: NorthBluff, Riverview Road, Pax Cristi, Homeward Hills, Purgatory Creek, Sonoma, Cavallo Ridge, Tree Farm Road and others

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Matthew Matousek 2 months ago

Another Idea is Public Access Athletic Dome... or an official cricket field for all those players who don't have fields to play on now...

0 Votes
Default_avatar
Brian Myers 2 months ago

What's a Public Access Athletic Dome?

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Sue Bar 2 months ago

Compost/yard waste site like neighboring cities offer to residents, native pollinator site (help the bees and butterflies) and alternative energy site.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Leslie Ambers 2 months ago

I think a combination of yard waste and organics collection on one part with the remainder as native pollinator. Perhaps some solar garden on one side of the hill.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Brian Myers 2 months ago

Please...put the waste/compost somewhere else! If you haven't driven to the site you may want to. It sits overlooking the valley. Using this land for garbage is a true waste (see what I did there :-).

• Alternative energy sources (solar, wind, methane recapture)
  • Native landscaping and pollinator habitat environment
  • Hiking trails
  • A cricket field is too large IMO but I like the idea of alternative activity support. I'd suggest Frisbee golf but we have that (which I think is cool). Lawn bowling maybe?
  • What about a prairie arboretum‎ and butterfly 'house'...what are those called?

Just please: no waste. And no basketball, tennis, soccer, baseball, football, or hockey. We have plenty of that in the city.

Thanks!

4 Votes

Default_avatar
Roger Hankey 2 months ago

Mixed use, but certainly solar on the south facing slopes, wind turbines but not the really tall ones, Several like the ones at Best Buy on Flying Cloud Dr. & 494. Native plantings and some gardens. Methane recapture (but isn't already happening). No athletic facilities. No waste or compost.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Liz Fabel 2 months ago

I believe it could be mixed use. Composting, which, if done right, does not smell. Pollinator garden and vertical garden could easily be incorporated into a composting site. Also, the newest solar panels and small wind turbines would not be unseemly and could also be incorporated. I believe the best use is multi-use in this situation. More bang for your buck for the city and us, the residence.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Brian Bierbaum 2 months ago

I love EP and one if the reasons I moved here was the combination of natural beauty and proximity to the city. We have some unique ecosystems in the city that could be investes in not only for natural beauty but the value of property.

I would love to see more prairie in Eden Prairie. I think this can be accomplished in a financially responsible manner by simply converting many of the current public lawn areas back to natural prairie. Imaigine all the "public lawn" along Anderson Lakes Parkway or the old dump filled with native grasses and flowers.

Thanks for taking this into consideration as you plan for the future of EP.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Lori Tritz 2 months ago

Alternative energy (e.g. Solar garden will help EP with its energy and carbon goals. It is common to plant native Prairie plants in solar gardens and support pollinators. It would also be a great opportunity to include education/ public awareness of these important issues and draw public in with a low-maintenance game space and hiking trails

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jim Rogers 2 months ago

Please do not use for yard waste or compost. Having an area in EP for this makes sense, but not in such a pretty space. That space should be used for more native plants to beautify that area.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Rob Wilcox about 1 month ago

I think this represents a huge opportunity for the community, and that we need to think bigger than just a place to dump our yard clippings. I'd support having a compost site, but let's find a different spot.

1 Vote