V3_aspire_eden_prairie_2040_logo_-_horizontal__reduced_

The City of Eden Prairie is in the midst of updating its Comprehensive Plan — Aspire Eden Prairie 2040.

As residents and stakeholders, you have a vested interest in this planning process. Please share your thoughts and insights to guide city leaders in planning for the future of our community.

Small2_city

City leaders aim to position Eden Prairie as a vibrant City characterized by the thoughtful integration of natural beauty and physical development, making it a highly desirable place for residents and businesses.

What are your thoughts on how well this has been accomplished so far? Should the city be doing more to promote preservation of natural resources within the community? What could be done?

11 Responses

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Bootstrap_david_holmquist_3165_websize
David Holmquist, Sr. Software Developer 22 days ago

I really like keeping as many trees as possible. I was very disappointed when a lot of trees were cut down in Round Lake Park....

7 Votes
Default_avatar
Kristi Marks at August 21, 2017 at 8:48am CDT

We live by Round Lake and while my family really loves the playground/beach remodel that was done a couple years ago, we are NOT loving the expansion of the parking lot for adult softball. The park remodel seriously involved digging up green space and cutting down trees to put in A LOT more asphalt. I noticed the same thing at Lake Riley. Very disappointing. "Pave paradise, put up a parking lot."

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Leanne Ashley 22 days ago

The parks are absolutely gems as they are nestled in beautiful forests. However, the Lake Riley current construction is bull dozing green space for parking lots. Though this maybe necessary let's not over bulldoze to make parks more accessable for vehicles and people but to limit development to preserve forest and green space over convienance of access.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Al Fre at August 15, 2017 at 5:49pm CDT

Eden Prairie is beautiful, but I do think the city could do a lot more to preserve our natural spaces and parks. I agree with above comments and think the city should also encourage residents to turn lawns back to a more natural state with tax incentives...growing native plant gardens and rain gardens...installing rain water collection barrels, solar panels etc.

7 Votes

Bootstrap_1837548406261060
Rod Fisher at August 16, 2017 at 8:07am CDT

A higher priority should be placed on protecting and reclaiming the health of Eden Prairie lakes. Residents and business owners should be held to a higher standard to manage runoff.

3 Votes
Default_avatar
David Ziegler at August 20, 2017 at 7:07pm CDT

I agree. I paddle around the lake near me about 5 times a week during the summer. It is more fun than running or going to the gym. Seeing trash in the lake makes me mad. I started picking up all the trash I see in the lake about 7 years ago. It has helped, but each time I see and pick up new trash from the lake it makes me wonder what kind of person would throw trash into a lake or on to a street where it can go down a storm drain and into a lake.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Brian Myers at August 17, 2017 at 5:26pm CDT

First I want to say that EP is a special place. It is hard to not find what you're looking for within our city limits: fantastic dog parks, great activity parks, awesome nature areas. I just love it.

BUT...every year, bit by bit we are losing it. If you can cram a house in to the space people will. The undeveloped areas of the city...those little nooks that make your neighborhood feel less crowded are being developed. It needs to stop because one day we are all going to wake up and find that our EP has turned in to just another aged suburb.

I'm not a city planner and don't have a firm grasp of how growth affects taxes. Are we selling what makes EP so special to continue the growth of a tax base to keep what we do have? What happens if we say 'enough'?

So let me say "enough". We don't need to fill every acre with homes. Have you seen the homes on Eden Prairie Rd and Scenic Heights Rd? If you haven't go to that corner and tell me if you like our future. Monstrosities. And if no more destruction of open space has taxation implications then simply tell me what they are...set a referendum so there is public debate and public understanding of the repercussions. How much would a 'No More Destruction of Open Space' policy cost me in taxes...I might be willing to pay that to stop our extra-special city from being just another suburb you drive through on your way to greener...more open suburbs.

Thank you.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Roger Hankey at August 19, 2017 at 8:09pm CDT

Need to work with MN DOT to replant trees along the S side of 62 between Shady Oak Road and Rowland Rd. Most of the original trees died years ago and were never replanted. They were intended to help be sound buffers. Lets pay the difference between the little ones MN DOT would plant and bigger ones that have a better chance to survive. Two rows would be better than a single row. Help recapture the carbon dioxide from all that traffic.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Liz Fabel at August 20, 2017 at 9:47am CDT

We should definitely be working harder to promote preservation of our natural resources. In the last few years the housing market has torn up the corner of EP Road and Sceinic Heights, Riley Lake, and other areas that used to be a joy to walk/bike. Now it is so distracting and the loss of green space so dramatic that I have to try hard to find my walking areas. I really enjoy having the quiet and nature in the area and, though I am not opposed to change, it would be nice to have everything slow down a bit or stop. I feel that this city is spiraling into a growth spurt that will have the green spaces disappear and thus push the residents out to find a quieter, greener, more natural place to live. I am certainly thinking about leaving.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Brian Bierbaum at August 20, 2017 at 3:49pm CDT

I love EP and one if the reasons I moved here was the combination of natural beauty and proximity to the city. We have some unique ecosystems in the city that could be investes in not only for natural beauty but the value of property.

I would love to see more prairie in Eden Prairie. I think this can be accomplished in a financially responsible manner by simply converting many of the current public lawn areas back to natural prairie. Imaigine all the "public lawn" along Anderson Lakes Parkway or the old dump filled with native grasses and flowers.

Thanks for taking this into consideration as you plan for the future of EP.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
David Ziegler at August 20, 2017 at 7:47pm CDT

My Wife and I moved to Eden Prairie back in 1988. There was a farm right behind our house, and many other farms in Eden Prairie at that time. The Eden Prairie City Planners have done a great job adding parks and bike paths as the city was developed. But there are many gaps in the bike path network. For example there is no path, sidewalk, or even a shoulder to walk on where Duck Lake Road crosses Duck Lake. In the summer I see kids standing on the road trying to fish. I have also seen many dead geese in the lake and on the road because they tried to cross the road to get to the other side of the lake. I have seen the EP High School Track Team running down Duck Lake Road in traffic at this location. There are many other gaps and dangerous crossings in the bike path network. I think the City Plan should include connecting all of our bike paths together, and adding well marked crosswalks at all of the street crossings, so we don't have to worry about our Eden Prairie Track Teams or our elderly residents getting hit by cars when they try to cross the road.

0 Votes