This Discussion channel is currently closed.
V3_aspire_eden_prairie_2040_logo_-_horizontal__reduced_

The City of Eden Prairie is in the midst of updating its Comprehensive Plan — Aspire Eden Prairie 2040.

As residents and stakeholders, you have a vested interest in this planning process. Please share your thoughts and insights to guide city leaders in planning for the future of our community.

Small2_temp_1130_008

The transportation system and its ability to meet the mobility and access needs of individuals is a key component of the City's infrastructure now and into the future. When you think about the areas in which you drive, ride, walk or bike around Eden Prairie, is there one specific location where you'd like the City to focus on making improvements? What would you like to see happen there?

14 Responses

Default_avatar
Kenneth Anderson 2 months ago

As an avid bicyclist, I commute a couple of times a week between Bloomington and Eden Prairie, where I live, it concerns me that the path that allows my safe passage between Hyland Park Reserve over to the Frontage Road just south of 494, ends at the beginning of Eden Prairie city line. So I have to ride on the edge of the road (cause there isn't a paved shoulder), when the Bloomington city limits stops. It's only about a 1 mile jaunt to sidewalks near the EP Mall, but still it is the scariest part of my ride. Would be nice to get either a shoulder on the road, or a real safe bike path put in. Some people travel well over the speed limit on this section of road. And treat me as if I don't have a right to ride there? Thanks for your public service!

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Tharen Callanan 2 months ago

I would like to see a standard speed limit (SL) implemented on roads that are of a similar type. For example, the SL on Pioneer Trail is 45mph - a 4 lane divided road. Prairie Center Dr is also a 4 lane divided road and that has a 40mph SL. Then there is Dell Rd where it's again, the exact same type of road, but the SL is 35mph. Elsewhere (I can't remember where exactly) there is a road like this that is a 50mph SL.

This lack of continuity is a delectable delight for EPPD (for their punitive revenue stream) and frankly makes no sense at all. Please, consider adjusting this or doing another Traffic Control Study/Survey.

3 Votes

Default_avatar
Mike Elhard 2 months ago

I'd like to see Pioneer slowed down. It's dangerous. The 45 MPH means people go 50 and higher. Especially at rush hour.

2 Votes

Default_avatar
Al Fre 2 months ago

Let's make Eden Prairie more bike and pedestrian friendly! More sidewalks, please!

5 Votes

Default_avatar
Sandi Lindstrom 2 months ago

I live near Wooddale Church. The new roads are awesome. With that said, coming from the East to West over the 212 bridge, the lanes are very confusing to say the least! Could arrows be added???

Then, heading up the hill by Wooddale to the Shady Oak intersection, the left turn left is super wide. There is no right turn lane. The straight ahead lane is too far to the right. Any help to fix this would be hugely appreciated! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jessica Troy 2 months ago

Driving on Prairie Center Drive between Flying Cloud and Valley View is an absolute nightmare most times of the day. More dedicated turn lanes would be super helpful but overall I think the traffic levels should be assessed and consider more guided routes through the area.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Jessica Troy 2 months ago

I also second Al's comment of more sidewalks! It freaks me out seeing the neighbor kids walk in the street for the school bus each morning knowing how some of the neighborhood teenagers drive. Not only that, but I think it encourages people to be out and about more and creates more of a sense of community.

2 Votes

Bootstrap_10155549373614705
Crystal Riggs 2 months ago

Last winter I noticed that it was really hard to see the lines on the roads when it was raining and snowing at night. To the point where it was like driving on a big reflection. Putting down some reflective paint on the main roads would be really helpful to make it easier to see where the lines are.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Brian Myers 2 months ago

Post 1: I really have few complaints about the roads in EP. Yeah the lights at EP Rd and 5 are a killer and the bottlekneck of Prairie Center Dr between 212 and Flying Cloud are annoying but I think they are places that must be watched and stayed ahead of more than being issues today.

And yeah, more sidewalks. You know...on the other side of the street though! ;-)

As far as roads my biggest issue is NB Baker Rd turning East on to 62. The city (or whomever) did an awesome job making the turn lane non-yield. But that doesn't matter to half the people that need to get on to northbound 494. They sit there at the light blocking up everyone else. The people that sit there and then don't get on 494 but instead just go East on 62 are the worst. I'd like the city to make an effort to fix this behavior...the turn is non-yield and has its own lane. I don't know if it takes a monkey with a sign or a cop giving tickets to fix this but it needs to be fixed.

Thanks.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Brian Myers 2 months ago

Post 2: I emailed the council last week about a news article from Canada. A small town contracted with Uber to become their bus service. I'd like the city to look in to this idea.

The non-EP to Minneapolis bus service in the city is terrible (I know we don't own it so even more of a reason to do something better). SW Prime is a good service made awful by 30-60 minute pickup and 30-60 minute drop off delays. My wife can't drive and even though we have SW Prime in EP I wind up leaving work to pick her up and take her places because with SW Prime a 30 minute doctor appointment turns in to a half day affair.

And I've always wondered if the size of the commute bus ramps was the result of people wanting to drive to the bus or the lack of busing to the bus? I don't want to deal with the ramps! But you're screwed if you miss your local bus or many times the local bus service times mean you have to wait too long to get your bus downtown.

My point is that I'd like to see EP stop solving these problems as single-distinct issues. We need a city solution that is flexible and cost effective. Ideally one that works with our neighbors (and don't forget that Shakopee is our neighbor). I'd like to see the city encourage Uber Ride Share to come to EP and see how we can get an in-city rate down to $3.50 a ride without huge city-paid subsidies.

Did I mention that Shakopee is a neighbor too? :-)

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Roger Hankey 2 months ago

The light rail will not be done for several years. The new Optum campus at 62 and Shady Oak Road brought many cars into the intersection 5 days a week. Nothing has been done to improve Hwy 62. EP needs to get its legislative agenda right to improve rush hour flow on 62 east bound

0 Votes

Default_avatar
Liz Fabel 2 months ago

I think the SW Transit in EP should be put to better use for commuters. It is an amazing transportation option that is underutilized IMHO. I am extremely opposed to the LRT because it is a boondoogle of extreme proportions. The cost/benefit is just not worth the billions it will cost and the land we will lose. THe buses are flexible in relation to times/location/cost. Let's use what we have in place already to the best of our ability.

0 Votes

Default_avatar
David Ziegler 2 months ago

Eden Prairie should have a goal to have bike paths that run beside all of the major roads and sidewalks next to all of the residential streets. Also the cross walks should be painted on the roads at all intersections so drivers know when they are crossing a bike path or pedestrian walk way.

1 Vote

Default_avatar
Rob Wilcox about 1 month ago

I would like to see a continuation of the efforts to make EP a place where you have multiple transportation options, including Light Rail, biking, sidewalks, public transportation, etc. I particularly appreciate the outstanding trails and paths, and would like to see those greatly expanded.

0 Votes