As part of the Sustainable Eden Prairie initiative, Eden Prairie is planning for the future management of solid waste, organics and recycling. The City recently invited the community to provide input on these topics. Now, you can also share your thoughts and discuss them with others online!
Solid Waste Planning
Community Drop-Off Day
The City is looking at the potential to expand the annual Community Drop-Off Day event, which takes place in June and provides disposal options for furniture, appliances and more - currently some items can be dropped off free of charge, and others require a fee. Click here for details about this event.
- Have you taken advantage of this program?
- What other items/materials would you like to see collected at the drop-off event?
- Would you be willing to pay a fee to participate? If yes, would you prefer an entry fee or per-item fee?
- What amount would you be willing to pay to participate in a drop-off event?
Haulers currently offer curbside pickup for bulky items.
- Have you taken advantage of this?
- How well is it working? Is the cost reasonable?
- Would you be interested in the ability to schedule an appointment for curbside collection of appliances or bulky items if the City could negotiate a reduced fee?
The City is considering options to increase traditional collection services for recyclables.
What options or ideas for improving and increasing recycling do you recommend?
Options could include:
- Weekly residential curbside recycling collection
- Additional education tools
- Outreach opportunities at local events
Hennepin County is proposing to require curbside collection of organics for residential properties that currently have curbside recycling and trash starting Jan. 22. 2022. To prepare for this the City would like your input related to the following:
Do you need more information to know what organics recycling includes?
Are you in favor of or do you oppose the collection of organics?
What method of curbside organics collection would you prefer?
Potential options include:
- Comingled with trash
- Comingled with yard waste
- Separate cart
The addition of organics recycling will likely include a fee increase. What do you feel is a reasonable fee for participating in organics collection?
The City currently requires that haulers provide yard waste collection to our residents on an as-needed basis. Do you currently contract for yard waste collection? Do you see a need for additional programs or services?
Examples could include:
- Fall yard waste drop-off event, similar to the City's Community Drop-Off Day in June, but for yard waste only
- Addition of a yard waste drop-off site in the community
- Targeted programs such as providing a drop-off site after major storm events